Is it weird that I love MAKING applesauce, but I don’t eat it?
I don’t know what it is, but I’ve never been a big fan of applesauce. I guess it’s a texture thing – it’s not completely smooth, but it’s not chunky, either. I just can’t do it!
But I love apples – whole, sliced, diced, cooked and put on yogurt or ice cream or in pie. I like apple juice and apple cider and apple butter and everything else apple – except applesauce. As far as I know, I’ve always been that way.
My mom and dad used to make me eat some whenever we had pork chops for dinner (classic combo), and I remember hating it even then.
Baby boy LOVES it. Like, if he had his choice of foods for each meal, I’m pretty sure all he would eat most days is applesauce + plain yogurt. And I can’t be mad at that.
He’s been such a great eater so far, and while I know we may be heading into super-picky territory, I’m doing what I can to keep adding in new flavors, spices, grains, proteins, fruits, and veggies any chance we get. He may not eat everything, but we try to get him to at least taste it all. That’s the only way you learn what you like or don’t like (exactly like me with applesauce).
Confession: I still try the applesauce. Every batch I’ve made him, actually. I love the spices and flavors in this combo the best, but I’m still not a bag of the texture, so it’s not a go-to snack for me. But I love using a few spoonfuls to make overnight oats (for some natural sweetness) or even cooking it down further with a little maple syrup to slather on pancakes or stir into yogurt.
You really can’t go wrong with apples and ginger or apples and carrots together, so why not put ALL of that together in one dish? It’s all the flavors I love in carrot cake – carrots, pineapple, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon – cooked down with apples, then blended up for a super tasty, sweet, and healthy treat!
carrot cake applesauce
- 3 medium apples
- 2 carrots
- 2 inches fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh, canned, or frozen pineapple chunks
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Core and dice the apples and chop the carrots into bite size pieces.
- Add all the ingredients to a medium pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until the apples and carrots are tender.
- Remove from heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until mostly smooth (as smooth as you'd like it).
- Serve warm or chilled.