It’s finally fall! It’s finally football season! And that means, it’s fun sandwich season!!
Are we the only ones that eat more sandwiches in the summer/fall than any other time of year? Summer is all about the BLTs, and fall opens up more fun ideas for football watching parties, tailgates, and just-because-we’re-bored combos.
As someone who grew up loving chik-fil-a, fried chicken sandwiches have a permanent soft spot in my heart. But is there a way to make a friend chicken sandwich even BETTER?
Because, let’s be honest: I love pickles, but I do NOT love pickles on sandwiches. I pull them off of everything. Pickles on their own? Yes, please. Pickles on a burger or any other kind of sandwich? Nope.
So I wanted to take my favorite things about a good fried chicken sandwich – minus the pickles – and amp it up a little more.
Enter, our newest condiment obsession – Sabra Spreads. You guys know how much we love Sabra Hummus. Our fridge and freezer are always stocked, and little man loves eating it by the handful, so now we have to share between 3 people in the house.
I was lucky (and so happy!) to be back in Richmond a few weeks ago for the official launch of these new Sabra Spreads, and we were able to try out all 3 flavors and make our own sandwich combos, right there in the Sabra test kitchen (which is amazing, btw).
I honestly thought my favorite would be the sea salt + cracked pepper (and it is seriously delicious) BUT the honey mustard is amazing. I couldn’t wait to use it on a sandwich, just like this – it’s like taking a favorite kid dish of chicken tenders + honey mustard dipping sauce and putting it all on a sandwich to have everything in one bite.
I’m telling you, I think this combo needs to be added to a restaurant menu if it isn’t already. What is better than a hot, crispy fried chicken breast and some slathering of honey mustard hummus?!
Oh, and PS: There’s also some of the honey mustard hummus IN the coating on the chicken. Double honey mustard!!
fried chicken and honey mustard hummus sandwiches
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts, butterflied OR 1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut in half to make 2 pieces of similar size
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp dry mustard
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup Sabra Honey Mustard Spreads
- peanut oil, for frying
- 2 buns, toasted
- red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- Sabra Honey Mustard Spreads for spreading on buns (however much you like!)
- Heat about 2 inches peanut oil in a heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg, milk and 1/4 cup Sabra Honey Mustard Spreads in a baking dish.
- In a separate dish, mix the flour, confectioner's sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda, and dry mustard together.
- Dip the chicken in the flour mixture, lightly coating it, then dip in the egg mixture, turning to coat, then dredge it in the flour mixture again and shake off any excess. Fry the chicken in the hot oil until golden brown, about 4 minutes, adjusting the heat as needed. Drain on paper towels.
- While the chicken is cooling, toast the buns.
- Spread each side of the bun with more of the Sabra Honey Mustard Spread, then top with the lettuce, red onion, and fried chicken breast.