Happy weekend! Happy grilling season! Happy spring-ing into summer!!!
Let’s do this. This weekend. Together.
Nick and I love a good burger. I don’t really care what kind of burger it is, as long as it’s made well, seasoned perfectly, and has some kind of tasty topping. So when Shadybrook Farms sent me their brand new Lightly Seasoned Turkey Patties to try out, I was pretty excited to see how they were.
We make a lot of burgers during the summer but usually mix up and season our own, so it felt a little weird to just throw patties on the grill, already seasoned for us. But they are really tasty! The perfect amount of salt, plus a little garlic, onion, and vinegar for a bit more depth of flavor.
The great thing is that, while they’re seasoned well, they’re not too strong in any flavor so you can do ANY toppings you want with these turkey burgers.
And that’s just what we did.
Mayo is a must on my burgers. But I didn’t want these to just have a swipe of plain old mayonnaise. So we spiced some up with fresh green onion, cilantro, and smoky cumin and smoked paprika. That – along with some tart pickled red onions – took these babies to the TOP of my homemade burger list. The TOP. They were so good. I’m already planning on making them again – and soon!
And bonus! We had them on our favorite homemade hamburger buns (which – btw, take less than an hour to make. no rising time!)
Working with Shady Brook Farms and Honeysuckle White this year has helped me branch out in my turkey dishes SO much. I think most people only think of turkey for Thanksgiving, but you can do anything with turkey! Plus, it never breaks the budget.
I mean…good food, at a good price – that’s what everyone needs and wants. Shady Brook Farms and Honeysuckle White are our local brands, and all their turkeys are raised on 700 independent family farms, which is pretty cool. And I’ve seen the farms! Well, not all 700, but I’ve visited a few of them. These families are doing important work to help feed mine and yours – and working to provide not only a healthy option, but also one that is affordable. Check out 700Reasons.com for more info on the farms, the farmers, and the turkeys – you can even thank a farmer!
Buy some of these patties. Grill ’em up this weekend. Help a family farm. Don’t break the bank.
Turkey Burgers with Spicy Herb Mayo and Pickled Onions
- 1 package Shadybrook Farms Lightly Seasoned Turkey Patties
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (good quality storebought or homemade)
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 2 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 4 buns, lightly toasted
- optional: lettuce, tomato, or other toppings you like on your burgers
- Heat your grill or pan on the stovetop to medium-high heat. Grill the turkey patties until completely cooked through, about 4-5 minutes on each side, flipping halfway through.
- While the burgers are cooking, mix the mayo with the sliced green onion, chopped cilantro, cumin, smoked paprika, and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, toss the thinly sliced red onion with the sherry vinegar and agave nectar or honey. Let these sit until you're ready to serve.
- Once the burgers are cooked through, top each bun with a turkey patty, and add a forkful of pickled onions. Spread the spicy herb mayo on the bun, top with any additional garnishes (lettuce, tomato, etc) and serve!
I’m excited to be working with Shady Brook Farms and Honeysuckle White as a brand ambassador this year! As always, all recipes and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting brands that support us!