You know you really like something when you find yourself craving it just by seeing a picture.
These muffins have been saving my mornings (and afternoon snacks) lately! I’ve been trying really hard not to snack on super sugary things, but honestly, that’s all I’m craving lately. This schedule of baby napping-feeding-trying to do things in the house while I can is so overwhelming. Overwhelming in the BEST way, but overwhelming regardless.
So having something – anything – that’s easy to grab is kind of necessary. Fresh fruit, nuts, trail mix, cookies, and these muffins have been keeping me sane. And….sometimes they fill in as lunch if I just can’t make anything that requires 2 hands.
But these muffins!
They feel so indulgent, but are really pretty good for you!
I use all whole wheat flour, and the they’re chock full of banana, healthy oil, and maple syrup as the sweetener so you’re not getting pumped full of sugar with these.
Plus, the chocolate I use is 60% dark (my favorite for baking), which means it doesn’t make me start craving more like milk chocolate does.
Fluffy, light, and just sweet enough. You can’t get any better than these!
Or, if you can, feel free to mail me a dozen. I’m always in need of extra food around here.
Whole Wheat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These muffins have been my saving grace lately. They're perfectly soft, light and fluffy, and full of banana flavor and melty dark chocolate pockets. There's just enough chocolate to make these feel a little indulgent, but they're completely whole wheat, so it all balances out.
- 1/3 cup safflower oil or melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium super ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour, or a mix of the two
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Either grease a 12-cup muffin tin or line with cupcake/muffin liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil and maple syrup together with a whisk. Add eggs and beat well. Mix in the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the flour, baking soda, vanilla extract, and salt to the bowl and mix with a large spoon, just until combined. Fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 12 muffin cups, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
- Bake muffins for 23 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
- Place the muffin tin on a cooling rack to cool. You might need to run a butter knife along the outer edge of the muffins to loosen them from the pan. Enjoy muffins as is or with a spread of butter.