This is a Sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sabra Dipping Co, LLC.. All opinions are 100% mine.
I’m usually all for keeping the classics classic. Peanut butter and jelly. Chocolate chip cookies.
Some things are just better left alone; to keep them the way they’ve always been. But sometimes, it’s worth it to try something new.
Maybe by browning the butter in your cookie recipe or adding a new mix in. Or switching up the jam in your sandwich, or grilling it when you normally have it cold.
And with grilled cheeses, I didn’t think I’d ever fall too far from the classic butter-on-bread, only-cheese-in-the-middle sandwich.
But I’ve gone off book before, and this version is definitely worth trying.
For years, I’ve heard that using mayonnaise on the outside of your bread toasted up even better and more golden than using butter. So, the other day, as I was staring into a fridge full of hummus….I thought, why not? Why wouldn’t super creamy, flavorful hummus be just as good – if not better – spread on the outside of the sandwich and crisped up in a hot pan?
I mean, I love hummus IN sandwiches. Why shouldn’t it have a place on the outside of the bread, too?
And, lucky me, it turned out pretty fantastic.
Since I was trying this new hummus-crusted sandwich, I stuck with a classic cheddar cheese and used one of my favorites – Sabra’s Tahini Hummus – as the flavor-punch on the outside of the bread.
Welcome to my new obsession. I can’t wait to try all kinds of mixes of cheese and different flavors of hummus! You can make anyone happy with this sandwich – it’s still close to your normal, run of the mill grilled cheese, just punched up a little with some extra flavor.
If you’re looking for new recipes – or just great ways to use hummus other than on chips and veggies – make sure to Like Sabra on Facebook.
Hummus Grilled Cheese
A new spin on a classic dish, this sandwich takes two flavors that go great together - hummus and sharp cheddar cheese - and combines them into a crispy, melty, perfect sandwich. I think any flavor hummus would make a great addition, and changing out the cheese could make for some awesome combinations!
- 2 slices bread
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp Sabra Tahini Hummus (or your favorite flavor!)
- Place a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Put the cheese in between the two pieces of bread and spread 1 Tbsp of hummus on the outside of one slice of bread.
- Once the pan is heated, place the sandwich hummus-side down in the pan.
- Let it cook 4-5 minutes, until nicely browned.
- Spread the other tablespoon of hummus on the top side of the sandwich, then flip over to cook. Cover the pan and let it cook for another 4-5 minutes (or longer, if needed) until both sides of the sandwich are golden and the cheese is melted.