I know the trip was over 5 months ago, but I still can’t stop thinking about Montreal.
I completely, head-over-heels, starry-eyed-on-cloud-nine fell in love with the city. Mostly Old Montreal. Old Montreal was like a little European city, just a few hours from LaGuardia.
There were cobblestone streets, incredible cathedrals, and you heard French everywhere. I wanted to stay. Honestly, I just wanted to put a cot in the corner of Olive et Gourmando and live there, but I’m not sure they’d let me. Although, I’m really good at making cookies AND washing dishes, so who knows. Maybe we could make a deal.
After talking up this little café with my last Montreal-inspired recipe, you’re getting it again.
So the ricotta I recreated was my choice for breakfast there that day. But Nick got this spicy egg sandwich that blew every other breakfast sandwich I’ve ever had out of the water. It was that good.
This wasn’t your normal bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich.
One, the name is probably better than any other breakfast item you’ve ever had. How can you NOT order the “Poached egg on your face Panini”?
Two, it is spicy poached eggs (pretty sure it was sriracha) with fresh herbs and mayonnaise, comte cheese, speck, and slow roasted tomatoes. Yeah. Goodbye bacon, egg, and cheese. I want this every morning.
So of course, a few weeks after we made the ricotta, it was time to recreate Nick’s choice. And while we didn’t have the same cheese, this turned out just as good as the original. I think it’s the spicy sriracha paired with the sweet, sugary roasted tomatoes.
Plus – really? I just don’t think you can ever go wrong with a spicy/salty/sweet/cheesy egg sandwich. I think the key was the tomatoes – they added just the right amount of sweetness to balance out the spice.
Between this and the ricotta, you’ve got your weekend breakfasts ready!
Sriracha, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich
If you're like us and tend to get in breakfast ruts, this sandwich is for you. It's sweet and spicy and cheesy - all the things you want in breakfast (or lunch or dinner). Feel free to add more sriracha if you like a big kick or a little less if you just want a hint of heat. But don't leave it out!
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 roasted tomatoes (or sundried tomatoes, packed in olive oil)
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 and 1/2 tsp sriracha
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place a skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the scallions and roasted tomatoes and cook, stirring to break up the tomatoes, 3-4 minutes until the scallions and tomatoes are softened.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, sriracha, salt, and pepper. Pour the eggs into the pan with the scallions and tomatoes. Cook over medium heat until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
- Split the egg mixture between two pieces of toasted bread. Top each sandwich with cheese and the other slice of toasted bread.