Posting smoothie recipes always feels like such a cop-out to me. It’s a smoothie. If you’re anything like me, you just throw things in the blender, turn it on, and hope that it turns out good. Right?
But sometimes, they turn out pretty good. So I make them a few more times, taking time to measure the ingredients, and field test them for weekday breakfasts or afternoon snacks, just to make sure they’re worth putting up here.
Chocolate and cherries isn’t anything new. I remember when there was a huge craze online a few years ago for something similar to this but with spinach mixed in. This is not that.
You could definitely add spinach to this (I have – you can’t even tell it’s in there), but it’s nice to see a smoothie recipe every now and then that doesn’t call for 4 cups of greens.
Even without the spinach, this smoothie is a pretty healthy way to start your day.
I’ve tried something similar with vanilla almond milk and with non-flavored, but the chocolate milk and the cocoa powder really make this one special with the tart frozen cherries.
And…you can never go wrong with extra chocolate. Especially for breakfast.
Double Chocolate Cherry Smoothie
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened chocolate almond milk
- heaping 3/4 cup frozen cherries
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pour the milk into your blender. Add in the cherries and cocoa and turn on low. Let the smoothie run on low for a minute, then bump the speed up to medium for about a minute until the mixture is smooth and you don't hear any more large chunks of cherries being hit by the blades.
- Pour the smoothie into a glass and serve immediately.