I am a sucker for pizza – especially made-at-home pizza. I like having full reign on toppings and being able to load it up with pepperoni or double the cheese or nix the sauce if I feel like it without having to pay extra or justify my choices. Don’t you hate that? When you order something and people give you weird looks? If I want olives and tomatoes and mushrooms and bacon on my pizza, I’m allowed to have it, thankyouverymuch. This is America.
Plus, I love making pizza because they’re easy! Besides whatever kind of pizza base you want to use, you don’t really need a recipe, either.
It’s like a salad….on bread. It’s whatever you want! Leftover chicken? Throw it on there. A few hunks of veggies in the fridge that need to be used? Sure, they’ll be great. Some of our best pizzas at home have been random mixes from the fridge.
FlatOut recently sent me some of their new Thin Crust Flatbreads to experiment with. Have you seen these yet? I went through a huge phase with their wraps a few years ago because they were awesome to have on Weight Watchers and to make little pizzas with. But these flatbreads are even better for a pizza base!
They’re soft, but bake up crisp, and they’re the perfect size for a little personal pan pizza without having to make a homemade dough. For my first trial, I went with something quick and easy: a Hummus and Olive Flatbread Pizza.
Do you make flatbread pizzas at home? I can’t wait to try some other toppings – these will be nice to have for easy lunches at home or even for breakfast! If you’ve got some more ideas for me, make sure to tune in to our Twitter Party on Thursday April 25 at noon EST with Susan of Doughmesstic, Angie from Eclectic Recipes, and of course, FlatOut, where we will all be sharing our ideas and PRIZES! Hope to see you there!
Hummus and Olive Flatbread Pizza
Makes: 1 flatbread
- 1 FlatOut Flatbread
- 1/4 cup hummus (I used Sabra Roasted Pine Nut)
- 5 olives, sliced
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 tsp each cumin and paprika
- drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the flatbread on a baking sheet and bake 3-4 minutes, just until the flatbread is warm.
- Remove it from the oven and spread the hummus on top of the flatbread. Place the sliced olives on top of the hummus, sprinkle on the sliced scallion and the parsley. Top with the cumin and paprika.
- Bake the flatbread again for 4-5 minutes until everything is warmed through.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle with olive oil, and slice into wedges.
GIVEAWAY: A two night trip for 2 to Taste of Chicago Food Festival – July 10-14, 2013!
Disclaimer: I am a paid ambassador for FlatOut Bread. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Prizing is supplied by, fullfilled by, and courtesy of FlatOut Bread.