I think you guys know that we love cookies around here.
It’s an almost weekly requirement to have some sort of treat in the house, and usually, that means cookies because they’re easy, they never go to waste, and they’re Nick’s favorite dessert – period.
When we went to visit my parents a few months ago, I talked the fam into going to my favorite sub shop for dinner one night, Mister Jims. This place is the best for a lot of reasons.
1. They have that tiny ice, kinda like Sonics but even better than Sonics. It’s almost crushed…but not. I don’t know what it is about their ice, but I’ve always loved it. I used to eat a lot of ice in high school – does that mean I have some deficiency? I have no idea. I thought I was just an ice connoisseur (and I am).
2. Their Pizza Steak Sub. Goodness gracious. It’s the sub that dreams are made of. If you ever go to Mister Jims, you will never be able to go to a Subway or Jimmy Johns or Quiznos again. First of all, the bread at Mister Jims isn’t flimsy – it’s good bread and they toast it perfectly, every time. Then, the Pizza Steak sub is thinly sliced steak, pepperoni, cheese, and their pizza sauce all bubbly and heated up on the toasted sub roll and wrapped up like the present it is.
3. Mostly the Pizza Steak Sub. Just get it.
Like any other place that has a cookie display case at the counter, Nick couldn’t resist getting a cookie at Mister Jims. They didn’t have any classic chocolate chip cookies so he got one that had all kinds of stuff in it: macadamia nuts, coconut, white chocolate, semi-sweet…and it was loaded.
So, of course, he challenged me to make them once we got home.
And I think I nailed it.
I’m pretty sure this is the first time I’ve ever baked with macadamia nuts. But, since these cookies have been added into the regular rotation, I know it won’t be the last time.
Everything in this cookie is buttery or chocolately – the cookies are big, like just over 1/4 cup of dough each – so they’re thick and stay soft, with just a little crisp around the edges. Just how we like ‘em.
Maybe you can’t make it to a Mister Jims for a Pizza Steak Sub, a giant soda, and a cookie…but you can make these at home. And I would say: the sooner, the better.
Monster Macadamia Coconut Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes: about 2.5 dozen cookies
- 2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Dixie Crystals granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dump the softened butter into a large bowl (stand mixer or other big bowl) and pour in the brown sugar and sugar. Beat together for 3-5 minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla, then add the eggs, one at a time, to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Pour the flours, baking soda, and salt into the bowl and mix into the butter.
- Once the dough has come together, add all the chocolate chips, the nuts and coconut and beat the mixture for another minute until the chips are mixed into the dough.
- Take a heaping 1/4 cup of dough, form into a round, and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 13-17 minutes until the top and edges are golden.
- Let the cookie rest for 1-2 minutes, then move them to a cooling rack.
Disclaimer: I have an ongoing partnership with Dixie Crystals. Recipes and opinions are my own.