Do you guys know what Wednesday is? Besides hump day, I mean.
It’s Whole Grain Sampling Day. But what does that mean, you ask? Well, it’s the nationwide, annual initiative designed to introduce consumers to the health benefits and great taste of whole grains.
Do you love whole grains as much as we do? I love using them in recipes at home and finding new, fun ways to sneak them into recipes for others, too. I think some people are scared to try them, but after you try a few, you get hooked! That’s how it happened for me, anyway. I love the different flavors and textures you get with whole grains – and they’re great for you! When Oldways and the Whole Grains Council asked me to become a whole grain ambassador, I jumped at the chance. I mean, I pretty much use some kind of whole grain at home every day, so I’m happy to share the whole grain love.
Here are some of my favorites form the past few years:
But…I think my all time favorite was this one – a wheatberry salad filled with fresh herbs and juicy strawberries. Perfect for spring and summer!
Strawberry Wheatberry Salad
Makes: 6-8 servings
- 2 cups wheatberries, uncooked
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chives, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup radishes, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Put wheatberries, water, and 1 tsp of salt in pot and bring to a boil. Let simmer 30-40 minutes or until the wheatberries are as chewy as you want them.
- In large bowl, whisk the olive oil, dijon mustard, orange zest, orange juice, salt, and pepper together.
- Add strawberries, chives, basil, mint, and radishes to the dressing mixture and toss to combine.
- Once the wheatberries are cooked, let them cool 10 minutes.
- Toss the wheatberries with the strawberry and dressing mixture.
- Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature.
To help celebrate Whole Grains Sampling Day, they sent me a whole grains sampling pack that had all kinds of goodies in it – from chips to cookie mix to rice and crackers and cereal.
Here’s what comes in the sampling pack – and you can win your own sampling pack, too!
- Among Friends Cookie Mix
- Barbara’s Shredded Oats
- Bob’s Red Mill Muesli
- Brown Rice Triscuits
- Whole Grain Wheat Thins
- Way Better Sweet Potato Chips
- Real McCoy’s Chips
- Goose Valley Rice Fusion
- Upfront Nutty Granola
- Jovial pasta
- Frontier Soups Wheat Berry Chili
- Freekehlicious Wholegrain Freekeh
- Home Free Cookies
- Tasty Bite Garlic Brown Rice
- Pamela’s Oatmeal Cookie Mix
- Engine 2 Crispbread
- Mestemacher Sunflower Seed Bread
- And a Whole Grains Day t-shirt
Everything I’ve tried so far has been delicious (especially the cereal and chips!) and I can’t wait to try everything else over the next few weeks.
Want to enter to win your own prize pack?
All you have to do is leave a comment on this post telling me either your favorite whole grain or a whole grain you’d love to try that you haven’t yet.
Also, feel free to join in to the virtual whole grain toast at 12:00 p.m. on Whole Grain Sampling Day (Wednesday – April 3). Use the #SampleWholeGrains hashtag! And make sure to follow @branappetit and @oldways on Twitter while you’re at it!
Disclosure: Oldways and the Whole Grains Council sent me all of the whole grain samples and provided me with the opportunity to hold a giveaway. But as always, all opinions are my own!