Hi guys! I’m going to be out of town for a few days, having surgery and recovering (that story is coming sometime soon…probably) so I’ve got some of my good blogging friends here to share some of their recipes with you.
First up is Angie, one of the sweetest people I’ve met through blogging. She and I roomed together along with my sister at Mixed this past winter, and she is so funny and kind – I’m happy to call her a friend and even happier that she makes recipes I know my husband would love, including this soup! Hope you guys enjoy!
Hey!! I’m Angie from BigBearsWife and I am so glad to be guest posting here on Brandi’s blog while she’s recovering! *Get Well Soon Brandi!* I’ve loved Brandi’s blog for a while now and was more that excited to be able to share a recipe with her readers!
The weather has been so cold and rainy here lately. It’s awful weather to be out and about it, but it is fantastic weather for soup! I love to be able to come home from work and warm up with a bowl of my favorite soup! Thankfully I’ve got a ton of soup in the freezer that I’ve been stockpiling haha!
Speaking of favorite soups, that’s exactly what I’m sharing with you today! This Broccoli and Cheese Pasta Soup is by far one of my newest loves!
Broccoli and Cheese Pasta Soup
by Angie Barrett October-01-2012
Yield: 10-12 bowls of soup
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 cups shredded carrots (2 large carrots)
- 1.5 cups chopped mushroom
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons Smart Balance Butter
- 1.5 teaspoons granulated onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup water and 5 tablespoons flour – whisked together in a small bowl
- 1 (16oz) box tiny shell pasta
- 3 tablespoons of Smart Balance Butter for pasta
- Salt and Pepper
- In a large skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add garlic and granulated onion to skillet. Cook until garlic is fragrant. Add shredded carrots to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- In a stock pot bring 4 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add cooked carrots to chicken broth. Stir.
- Add in the water flour mixture and whisk. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Let cook for 5-10 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Meanwhile, start boiling water for the pasta. Salt water and cook pasta until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain pasta and return to warm pot. Stir in 3 tablespoons of butter to pasta.
- Add chopped mushrooms to broth. Stir in 3 cups milk and 1 cup water. Stir in broccoli.
- Add 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese. Stir. Simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (If too thick, add more milk or water until desired constancy is reached.)