Today is a special day!
Not only am I finally sharing a popcorn recipe (yum), I’m sharing it for a very, very special reason – we’re throwing a baby shower for Rachel!
Rachel and I have never met in person, but we’ve become good friends over this crazy blogging thing and twitter.
And since we’re both huge popcorn fans, I knew I had to make a fun popcorn recipe for the baby shower.
This popcorn is salty and sweet, with just a little bit of bourbon and vanilla. Since she can totally eat as much as popcorn as she wants, I thought it would be fun to come up with a new way to have it.
I mean, when you eat popcorn as much as we do….it’s nice to have new flavors to mix in.
Happy happy Baby Shower Rachel! We can’t wait to see the little man!
Make some popcorn, grab a drink, and settle in to check out all these incredible dishes people are bringing for Rachel and the little guy.
Jamie from Thrifty Veggie Mama – Roasted Butternut Squash and Sage Pesto Crostini
Kathryn from London Bakes – Mini Onion and Feta Pizzas
Kita from Pass the Sushi – Sweet Potato Soup with Maple Cream
Krista from Budget Gourmet Mom – Baby Blue Cheese Burgers
Mackenzie from Susie Freaking Homemaker – Cucumber Sandwiches
Marnely from Cooking with Books – Curried Salmon Phyllo Cups
Shelby from Diabetic Foodie – Cranberry Citrus Meatballs
Susan from 30A Eats – Southern Cheese Straws
Sheila from Eat 2 Gather – Chicken Salad
Sarah from Sarah’s Cucina Bella – Apple Asiago Prociutto Bites
Amanda from Fake Ginger – Snickerdoodle Scones
Barbara from Creative-Culinary – Patchwork Baby Quilt Cake
Carrian from Oh Sweet Basil – Mini Blackberry Pies
Deborah from Taste and Tell – Blue Layered Jello
Donna from Cookistry – Walnut Streusel Coffee Cake
Erin from The Spiffy Cookie – Sweet Potato Pie Dip with Pie Crust Dippers
Heather from Farmgirl Gourmet – Dark Chocolate Cashew Brittle Cookies
Jennifer from Mother Thyme – Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
Jessie from Bread & Butter – Primal Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Liz from The Lemon Bowl – Chewy Molasses Cookie Bars
Milisa from Miss in the Kitchen – White Chocolate Biscoff Muddy Buddies
Tara from Chip Chip Hooray – Itty Bitty Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
Sommer – Turtle Pumpkin Ice Cream Cake
Bourbon Toffee Popcorn:
Makes: 2-4 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- Pour olive oil into a large pot with a lid. Add 1 popcorn kernel to the oil, cover the pot, and turn the stove on medium. Once the 1 kernel has popped, pour in the rest of the kernels, cover the pot again, and let it sit for 2-3 minutes until the popcorn starts popping.
- Shake the pot over the stove every few minutes to move the kernels around.
- When the popping slows down (about 3-5 minutes), remove the pot from the heat.
- Toss the popcorn with the 1 tsp salt in the pot and set aside while you make the toffee coating.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the sugar and water in a medium sauce pan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let the sugar and water cook, boiling over medium heat, about 10-15 minutes, until the sugar is starting to caramelize and is turning a golden / amber color.
- Lower the heat to low and stir in the butter. Let the mixture cook for another minute, then remove the pan from heat.
- Stir in the vanilla and bourbon.
- Pour the toffee over the popcorn and toss everything together.
- Lay the toffee popcorn out in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 10 minutes at 350.
- Remove from the oven and let the toffee set before breaking up and serving.