If there’s one thing that I’ve completely fallen in love with over the past few years, it’s jam. Especially homemade jams with hand written labels or no labels at all. That’s a fun game to play with biscuits in the morning: spread on the jam and guess what it is.
Maybe I’m weird, but I like cooking fruit down into a thick, bubbling mess and funneling it into little jars to give out at Christmas and to hoard in our own basement.
But I’m definitely still a canning novice. I’ve only made a handful of jams so far, and my to-make list just keeps getting longer.
For the jams I haven’t made myself and to round out our jam selection, I usually buy Bonne Maman. Besides our homemade jams, theirs are some of the best jams I’ve had. Bonne Maman preserves and jellies are 100% all natural and have no high fructose corn syrup – just like our homemade versions, but with prettier lids.
Thanks to the people at Bonne Maman, I had the chance to come up with a recipe using their Golden Plum Mirabelle preserves – and even though I really wanted to make something sweet, I ended up making something a little sweet and savory.
Bonus! Nick LOVED this! He went back for seconds and kept telling me how good it was. This isn’t a nightly occurrence, so when he keeps talking about a dish….that’s how I know he really, really liked it.
This recipe is definitely going in our rotation! It’s sweet, it’s spicy, and it’s quick – you can’t ask for much more on a busy weeknight.
Check out all the other recipes using the Golden Plum Mirabelle preserves here – there’s some great ones!
I’d love it you would like my picture (here!). The recipe with the most likes will win a prize pack, and I can’t get enough jam!
And, to spread the jam love even more, I’ve got a 3 pack of Bonne Maman preserves to give away!
To enter, leave a comment on this post telling me your favorite type of jam or jelly.
For an additional entry, vote in the pinterest contest by clicking like on one of the recipes on THIS BOARD. Leave your pinterest username in the comments.
For an additional entry, sign up for Bonne Maman’s newsletter by entering your email address in the box at the bottom of THIS PAGE.
For an additional entry, like BranAppetit on Facebook and leave a comment here stating you did so.
That’s 4 chances to win! Contest ends 11/15/12 at 11:59pm. Good luck!
Orange Ginger Plum Chicken with Snap Peas
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup Bonne Maman Golden Plum Mirabelle Preserves
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tsp fresh ginger
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (or more, if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 cups steamed sugar snap peas
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and toss with the salt, pepper, and cornstarch until each piece of chicken is coated.
- In a medium bowl, mix the preserves, orange juice, ginger, garlic, salt, and crushed red pepper together.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add 1 tsp of olive oil. Add half of the chicken to the pan, shaking the excess cornstarch off before placing in the skillet. Let the chicken brown in the pan before flipping. Cook until the chicken is browned a bit on all sides. Remove the first batch from the pan and repeat with the second tsp of olive oil and the rest of the chicken.
- Once the second batch of chicken is browned, add all the chicken back to the pan.
- Pour in the preserve mixture and the sliced green onions.
- Let this mixture cook, on medium, with the chicken, until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in the steamed sugar snap peas just before serving.
- Serve over brown rice with extra green onions.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. Winner will be contacted by email at the end of the contest period. If you have any additional questions – feel free to send me an email! The giveaway is only open to US residents. Please use a valid email address when commenting. The winner will have 48 hours to respond from the time of email notification. If no response is received within 48 hours a new winner will be chosen. The prize will be shipped by Bonne Maman. Jam and compensation was provided to create the recipe – all opinions are my own.