I’m a little obsessive when it comes to, well, a lot of things. Books, music, foods, clothes.
Not obsessive in a rack-up-a-ton-of-debt way. But when I find something new and really like it, it’s like I turn into a 2 year old that watches the same movie over and over for weeks. I just can’t stop.
It all started with Hanson and R.L. Stine books. I read those stupid cheerleader books a million times, and my sister and I had an entire binder full of articles and pictures of Hanson that we ripped out of Bop. Then I moved on to Incubus and glittery eye liner (not the best idea with the eye liner). I’ve bought 5 of the same shirts in different colors and that was just a few weeks ago!
Right now, I’m completely stuck on 4 things:
Brandi Carlile – seriously. If you haven’t heard her, I don’t know what you’re doing. If I had her voice, I would never ever stop singing. Ever.
The new Avett Brothers album. I’ve already bought 2 copies. Between that and Brandi Carlile, that’s just about all I’ve listened to for the past 2 weeks. I don’t see this ending any time soon.
Classic books. I’m re-reading Pride and Prejudice and am about to start Anna Karenina. Have you read it? I can’t wait to start it.
The strawberry and blueberry versions are perfect for breakfast – not too sweet and sort of like a baked bowl of oatmeal. I love them both, but I was ready to try something a little more decadent.
I had a little leftover coffee last week (it’s rare that that happens) and decided to throw that into a snack cake with some cocoa powder, fresh raspberries, and a spoonful of chocolate chips. This may be the best version of this cake that I ever make.
The only sugar is in the chocolate chips, but between those, the rich cocoa powder, and the tart raspberries, you’d never know there wasn’t any added sugar in the actual cake batter.
It’s hearty enough to still have as a fun breakfast, but it also makes a killer afternoon snack with a cup of decaf…or a perfect little treat after dinner.
Cake for breakfast? I say it’s definitely okay on Friday.
Raspberry Mocha Chip Snack Cake
Makes: 1 cake
- 1/4 cup oat bran
- 1/4 cup oat flour
- 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp applesauce
- 1 Tbsp coffee
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp fresh raspberries
- 1 Tbsp chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, mix the oat bran, oat flour, flax seed, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt together.
- Stir in the almond milk, applesauce, coffee, and vanilla until all the dry ingredients are mixed together. Gently fold in the raspberries and chocolate chips.
- Spray a coffee mug or ramekin with oil and pour the mixture into the greased container.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute and 30 seconds and check the cake. If you use a taller, more narrow mug or ramekin, you may need to microwave for another 30 seconds to 1 minute to get the center cooked.
- Once it’s done, let the cake cool for a minute before eating.