There are some things that everyone should know how to make.
And rice krispie treats. I mean, that’s kind of obvious, right? They’re one of the easiest things to make, everyone loves them, and you only need 10 minutes to whip them up.
I love a plain old rice krispie treat just as much as the next guy, but let’s kick ‘em up a notch.
With browned butter.
Remember my obsession with brown butter last year? I think it’s coming back. I’m still waiting for a brown butter scented candle, but until then, I’ll just be making my own to throw into cookie dough, pasta, and now – cereal bars.
My favorite rice krispie treats were always the basics: just butter, marshmallows, and cereal. I like fun mix-ins, but the classics were always the best.
Browning the butter before adding the marshmallows makes these classic bars even better. It gives the bars a deeper, toastier flavor and the little pinch of salt is just enough to balance out all that sugar from the marshmallows.
Want a quick treat for this week? Grab your cereal and let’s brown some butter!
Brown Butter and Sea Salt Cereal Bars
Makes: 12-16 bars
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 12 oz. marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 6 cups crisp rice cereal
- Melt butter over low-medium heat, letting it cook until the butter is completely melted and is starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the marshmallows and sea salt and cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes until the marshmallows are totally melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour in the cereal and stir, quickly, until all the cereal is coated with the marshmallow.
- Dump the mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish, top with a sheet of parchment paper, and press on top of the parchment with your hands to get the bars into an even layer in the dish.
- Remove the parchment paper and let the bars sit for at least 30 minutes before cutting.