We’re a week into August.
How in the world did this happen? Didn’t summer just start?
Maggie and me are going through my normal August illness: summeritis. Do you get it, too?
Summeritis is what happens to me near the end of every summer. I start panicking that I haven’t done everything I wanted to do – berry picking (still haven’t!), swimming in a pool, laying on the beach with a fluff book and a big hat, eating ice cream for dinner at least once.
The other thing that happens with this summeritis? It’s all going on when the garden is going crazy, making it even harder to get everything done – especially because being an adult means summer almost doesn’t exist. Or at least not like it did when you’re in school and have every day to do whatever you want to do.
Shouldn’t summer come with “summer work hours” or at least 1 month off, just because? I’m pretty sure having time off without having to use vacation hours in the summer would make me a better worker the rest of the year. And at least I wouldn’t be so pasty from sitting in front of a computer at work all summer long.
If someone runs for president and puts that option in their campaign? Sign me up. I’ll vote for paid summer time off, any day.
But since I don’t have that this year…I’m working on my summer list, one thing at a time. Can I get it all done? Beach trip will be in September. Berry picking this week? And at least one super fun concert is coming up this weekend.
This bread – in some shape – will always be on the summer list as long as we have a garden.
If there’s zucchini, there has to be zucchini bread.
It’s the summer rule.
This loaf is loaded with shredded zucchini and chocolate chips, with a little spice from the cinnamon and nuttiness from the whole wheat flour. Mixing flours keeps the bread from being too heavy, but you can try your own mix, too.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
Makes: 12-16 servings
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 and 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs together until light and frothy. Whisk in the applesauce, oil, sugar, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Stir the zucchini and chocolate chips into the batter.
- Spread the batter into a greased loaf pan and bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the bread.