There are some things that just aren’t good ideas.
Wearing socks with sandals. Trying to carry all your grocery bags into the house in one trip without spilling your coffee. Keeping your cumin or cayenne next to your cinnamon in the cabinet – this is just asking for oatmeal trouble. Drinking orange juice right after you brush your teeth.
And then there are some things that just make sense.
Summer and ice cream. Flip flops and sundresses. Waffles with a big glass of ice cold milk. Creamy avocado mixed with limed and salted brown rice.
I love brown rice. I love brown rice topped with avocado even more. Brown rice mashed WITH avocado, zesty lime, salt, and cilantro? Best idea ever.
Those burrito bowls are one of my favorite meals, and I think they’re about to get even better with this creamy rice as the base.
And…like just about everything else…this rice is unfairly good topped with a couple of fried or over easy eggs. THAT is definitely a great idea.
Creamy Avocado Rice
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 and 3/4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups quick cooking brown rice
- 1 avocado, mashed
- the zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Bring the water and 1 tsp salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Pour in the rice, bring it back to a boil and let the rice cook, simmering and covered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and leave it covered for another 5-10 minutes until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Spoon the mashed avocado into the hot rice and mix together. Stir in the lime zest, lime juice, salt, and cilantro before serving.