Remember how I can’t remember anything?
Lucky for you(?), that hasn’t changed, so I will always have ridiculous stories to tell.
Like how I’ve forgotten to buy brown sugar 3 weeks in a row. 3 weeks!
And before you ask, yes I wrote it down. Yes I marked it on my list on the fridge. Yes I had it ON my grocery list, in the store with me. And still – I either missed the isle completely or maybe accidentally marked through it so I thought I had it? I have no idea what happened.
This past weekend, I put my butter in the bowl to start making my cookie cake for my birthday and skipped over to the pantry to grab my brown sugar.
And then I remembered that I forgot to buy brown sugar. Again.
I was not missing out on my cookie cake, and I was too lazy to put on shoes and drive up to the store just for brown sugar.
So what do you do if you need brown sugar right-this-minute and don’t have any brown sugar?
1. Pray that you have enough white sugar to do this. (I did – barely).
2. Get out the same amount of white sugar – need 3/4 cup of brown sugar? Get 3/4 cup of white.
3. Grab that molasses that you barely use.
This will save you.
And you may never go back to storebought brown sugar. This stuff smells incredible! Like…so good that you’ll just want to make it your new face scrub, right then, and forget about baking cookies. You’ve been warned.
Homemade Dark Brown Sugar
Makes: 1 cup. Multiply as needed.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp molasses
- Pour sugar into a medium bowl and drizzle the molasses on top.
- Stir together with a fork, mixing the molasses into the sugar. The sugar will clump up with the molasses – don’t freak out! Just keep mixing.
- Fluff the sugar with your fork a few times once all the molasses is mixed into the sugar. Use immediately or store in an air-tight container.