These little pie bites were dreamed up because I’m in a never ending book reading abyss again.
I cannot put the books down.
The reading starts in the morning when I’m throwing something together for breakfast. I read in the car while Nick drives on the way to work, stuff the book in my purse so I have it at lunch, and pull it out again for the trip back home.
I have to plan meals that I can let simmer or bake while I read – more – until dinner is ready.
Nothing that needs two hands to eat like a sandwich or with a knife and fork. Food needs to be easy to make, easy to eat, with one hand so I can hold my book with the other. Like these little pies.
Regular pie is good.
Mini pies are better.
You can make the filling to crust ratio exactly how you want it.
Like the crust the most? Go skimpy on the fillings. Love the baked fruit center? Fill it to the brim.
These little pies bake up golden with soft strawberries and melted nutella bursting out the seams.
A few of these bites, a glass of milk, and a good book are all you need to end your day.
What’s the saying? A pie in the hand…? No, that doesn’t sound right.
Bite Size Strawberry Nutella Mini Pies
Makes: about 1 dozen mini pies
- 1 batch of pie crust dough (make half this recipe)
- 1/2 cup strawberries, chopped small
- 1/2 cup Nutella
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll the pie crust dough out until it’s about 1/8″ thick, around the same thickness you would want if you were making a normal pie.
- Cut an even number of rounds (24) out of the dough using a biscuit cutter or drinking glass. If you run out of dough to cut, gently knead the scraps back together and roll out again until you have the number of rounds that you need.
- Put half of the dough rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Top the rounds with a small spoonful of nutella and a few pieces of strawberries.
- Add another round to the top of each mini pie on the baking sheet and press the edges together using the tines of a fork.
- Pierce the tops with the tip of a knife, brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the mini pies at 375 for 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden.