No wonder it’s so hard for me to get up in the mornings.
I’m surrounded by animals that love to sleep and cuddle.
Weekend mornings are the best because we can sleep in a little, leave the alarm clock off, and wake up with the sun.
But week day mornings are…not as fun.
Week days start with a rude awakening, usually breaking up an awesome dream about being able to actually frost cupcakes or guest starring on White Collar.
Then I fight to stay in bed as long as possible – cuddling Maggie and Nick and trying to convince them that it’s really Saturday and we don’t need to go to work today. I pull the covers tighter and cover my head, hoping that the alarm will just stop already.
And then I rush around to get ready, pack lunches, and make breakfast.
Breakfast needs to be fast around here Monday – Friday. We don’t have time for pancakes or waffles or the best omelets ever.
Most mornings, I stick with oatmeal + fruit + peanut butter or eggs and fruit, but these oatmeal pancakes are so quick and easy, they’re worth the extra step the night before.
Mix up the base, fry ’em up in the morning, and you’re set. Quick, healthy, and filling – can’t beat that on a busy morning!
Oatmeal Pancakes with Vanilla Bean Yogurt and Strawberries, based on the original egg white pancake recipe I found from Kath
Makes: 1 serving
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- The night before, mix the oats with the egg whites, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Put in the fridge to rest and thicken overnight.
- In the morning, put a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Oil the pan and add the batter – either making one large pancake or two smaller cakes – and cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- While the pancake cooks, mix the yogurt with the vanilla and slice the berries.
- Once the pancake(s) are done, layer them with the yogurt and berries.