I was that kid.
You know the one.
That nerdy kid that somehow always got to the box of Munchkin donuts first.
The one who always grabbed handfuls of the little chocolate cake donuts, passing by the powdered sugar and plain glazed ones.
No chocolate? No thank you.
I was sneaky – and still am!
If you bring a box of Munchkins anywhere near me…the chocolate cake donuts will not last long.
You can take your cinnamon sugar or regular glazed – the chocolate has my heart.
These are not Munchkins.
They are not fried, they are not bite sized, they are not crushed up against a powdered sugar donut in the bottom of a box.
But they are a healthier version of one of my favorite sweet treats when I was growing up.
These aren’t as dense as your normal cake donuts, but they fill the void. We don’t have Dunkin Donuts ’round these parts, so I’ve got to make my own.
Are you a chocolate, cinnamon, plain, or powdered sugar Munchkin lover?
Whole Wheat Chocolate Cake Donuts with Vanilla Glaze
Makes: 6 donuts in a standard donut pan
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix almond milk and lemon juice and let it sit for 5 minutes – you’re making almond buttermilk!
- Stir the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt, flax seed, and oil into the almond milk mixture just until all the dry ingredients are combined.
- Drop batter into greased donut pan, and bake 11-13 minutes or until they spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven and let the donuts cool completely.
- Once the donuts are cool to the touch, mix the powdered sugar with vanilla and milk until you have a smooth glaze you can drizzle off the end of a spoon.
- Cover the donuts with the glaze and let them set. You can put them in the fridge to hurry them along, if you want.