When you get married, you learn a lot of new things.
Like you both probably fold laundry a different way. One of you won’t mind vacuuming and one of you will hate it (I’m the hater). And one of you probably likes the snooze button more than the other (totally me in our house).
When you go from living with your parents –> living with girl roommates –> living with a husband, there’s a learning curve.
I didn’t know how to cook anything when we got married, so that’s where I started.
Nick was definitely a better cook for the first year – at least – until I started to catch up.
But about 2 years in, he shared one of the most incredible food ideas I had ever heard.
After an early dinner one night, we were both wanting a snack. We looked through the cabinets and didn’t see much – until Nick suggested making grilled pb&js.
Grilling a pb&j is the ultimate sandwich.
It’s all the things you love about a classic pb&j with buttered, toasted bread and a melty mess of a peanut butter and jam filling.
I’ve had this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and midnight snacks. It doesn’t matter when you have it – just do it!
Ultimate Grilled PB&J
Makes: 1 sandwich
- 2 slices bread (farmhouse is best!)
- 1.5-2 Tbsp of your favorite nut butter
- 1 Tbsp jam
- 1-2 Tbsp butter OR neutral oil
- Put a small skillet over medium heat.
- Spread your peanut butter on slice of bread and your jam on another.
- Put the sandwich together and butter (or brush oil) on one side of the sandwich.
- Place the buttered side of the sandwich in the pan and let it cook 3-5 minutes until it’s golden and toasted.
- Flip over, cook another 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm.