This is the trouble with learning to make your favorite foods at home from scratch:
You will never want the store-bought or restaurant version again. Even on the lazy days when you don’t feel like cooking. Even when all you want to do is have someone else cook for you.
After finally getting our perfect pizza dough, I tried making a new one this weekend and this new dough knocked our socks off.
I’m pretty sure it’s the bread flour…but it also helped that I didn’t have to wait 1.5 hours for it to rise.
This dough is so easy – and fast!
You mix it up, let it sit for 10 minutes, roll it out and bake it. And you’d never know that it wasn’t a regular yeast dough that needs to rise for hours before baking.
I had no idea if this would actually work, but we had no leftovers ready for dinner Friday night and the only thing I knew we had in the fridge was cheese and pepperoni.
And now, we’re hooked.
This dough is really, truly, perfect.
Crispy on the edges, soft and fluffy all the way through.
But I will warn you – you will never, ever want take out or store bought pizza again. It’s definitely a good thing this dough only takes minutes instead of hours.
Perfect pizza at home is always, always worth the work – and this one barely takes any!
And please promise me something?
Please, please, please don’t ever use pre-shredded cheese on your pizza. You will never get that melty and crispy browned cheesy layer unless you shred your own. Just do it. Step away from the pre-shredded. Your pizza will thank you.
Pepperoni, Salami, and Olive Pizza
Makes: 1 12-14″ pie, about 8 medium slices
- 1 batch quick, no rise pizza dough (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp each dried oregano, dried parsley, dried basil
- 1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, sliced
- 5-6 slices salami
- 1/4-1/2 cup green olives, sliced
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Roll out pizza dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet or a pizza stone.
- In a medium bowl, mix the tomato paste with the water and spices. Spread the sauce over the dough.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sauce and top with the pepperoni, salami, and olives.
- Bake the pizza at 475 for 15-18 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and browned.
Quick No Rise Pizza Dough
Makes: 1 12-14″ pie
- 2 and 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 and 1/2 cups bread flour
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix the yeast, honey, and warm water together. Let this mixture sit for 5-10 minutes until creamy.
- Mix in the bread flour, olive oil, and salt. Knead the dough with a dough hook or your hands for 5 minutes or until the flour is incorporated and the dough is soft and smooth.
- Let the dough sit for 10 minutes while you get your pizza toppings ready.
- Place the dough on a floured surface and roll out to fit your pizza stone or baking sheet.
- Top and bake.