Welcome to Cookie Week on BranAppetit!
I am not ready – at all – for Christmas.
I’m so behind on everything: gifts, baking, Christmas music…all of these house projects have taken over our lives and I haven’t had time to get everything done on my list.
I am ready for my favorite things about this season. Time with family and friends and lots of laughing.
Plus, my mom’s fudge pie. Mammaw’s ham gravy. And all the best holiday cookies.
To help get myself ready for the holidays, I’m going to feature some of my favorite cookie recipes this week, starting with one of the best.
These Molasses Cream Pie Cookies were inspired by a family friend’s recipe that were my favorites growing up.
I added some pumpkin, took out the shortening, and whipped up a vegan buttercream to make them into little cream pie cookie sandwiches.
These molasses cookies are soft and fluffy – the total opposite from your normal thin and crispy gingersnap or molasses cookies.
I love them on their own, but they’re more fun with the buttercream.
If you’re still looking for a cookie recipe, these are a great and spicy option for your holiday table.
Bonus: You can mix them up in one bowl and don’t even need to let butter sit out and soften before baking.
Molasses Cream Pie Cookies – Vegan!
Makes: 2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 flax “egg” – 1 Tbsp ground flax mixed with 1-2 Tbsp water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- In large bowl, mix oil, pumpkin, sugar, flax “egg”, and molasses.
- Add in spices and baking soda.
- Mix in flour, a little at a time, until everything is combined.
- Cover the bowl and chill the dough for 30 minutes.
- While dough is chilling, preheat oven to 375.
- Pour 1 Tbsp into small bowl/plate and set aside.
- Take dough out of fridge, roll into tablespoon-sized balls and dip the tops in sugar.
- Place on baking sheet, 2-3” apart.
- Bake 8-12 minutes.
- Let cool completely before icing.
Vegan Buttercream – Vanilla and Chocolate
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups powdered sugar
- In large bowl, beat Earth Balance until soft and creamy.
- Mix in vanilla and half the powdered sugar until combined.
- Add in the rest of the sugar and beat until icing is smooth.
*For the chocolate icing, I just took half of my vanilla buttercream, added in 1 Tbsp cocoa powder and mixed.