I know what you’re thinking.
Who messes with grilled cheese?
Believe me. I would normally agree.
For years I would never let anything else sneak into my grilled cheese sandwiches. I wanted 3 things and 3 things only: soft bread, sliced American cheese, and butter.
But can I tell you something?
I think I grew up when I ate this sandwich last week.
I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Talking about it. Dreaming about it.
And my views on grilled cheese sandwiches are changed…forever.
My new grilled cheese rules:
1. No more sliced American cheese. Thin slices of super sharp aged cheddar is the way to go.
2. It’s not enough to just butter the outside of the sandwich. You need butter everywhere. Don’t resist it.
3. And not just any butter. Kerrygold (the best) mixed with chopped rosemary and walnuts is insanely good. Maybe not on every grilled cheese sandwich, but if you’ve got cheddar and sliced apple – this is the way to go.
I normally go for sweet over salty, but I’m telling you – this sandwich is one of the best I’ve ever eaten in my entire life.
Would you do me a favor this week and make this sandwich?
Then, if you’re as obsessed with it as I am, tell me about it.
Tell others about it.
Spread the rosemary-walnut butter love.
Apples + cheddar + herby nutty butter = TruLuv4Ever
Grilled Cheese with Apple and Rosemary Walnut Butter
Makes: 1 sandwich
- 1 Tbsp salted Kerrygold butter
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp chopped walnuts
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 1 oz. Kerrygold Reserve Cheddar, sliced
- 1/4 apple, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl, mix the butter with the rosemary and walnuts.
- Spread 1/2 tsp of butter on each slice of bread.
- Layer one slice of bread with the sliced cheddar and apple and top with the other piece of bread, butter side down on the fillings.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and spread one side of the outside of the sandwich with some of the butter mixture.
- Put the sandwich butter side down in the pan and cook, 3-5 minutes until the first side is golden and the cheese is beginning to melt. Butter the top side of the sandwich before flipping over.
- Cook on the second side for another 3-4 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
To participate in this contest, I did receive the butters for free to use in my entries. As always, all opinions and recipes are my own