I always wonder how other bloggers put their posts together. Are they totally organized with highlighters and post-its?
Do they sit down and know exactly what they’re going to write? Do they just want to talk about a recipe or event or topic or do they weave in tangents in their posts?
Since this snack mix isn’t an actual recipe – just a few ingredients tossed together – I thought it would be fun to go through my normal routine.
So here goes. I sure hope I’m not the only one that works this way.
1. Lately, I’m just starting to put my post together around 10 pm or later. Before a few months ago, I would put posts together earlier in the evening after work/dinner/dishes, but I’m currently working on a pretty big project so the posts come last right now. This is probably not a good idea for a lot of reasons. I’m usually exhausted already and tired of looking at the computer and my own words or I’m preoccupied by the Friends reruns on Nick and Nite or I had wine with dinner and I want to just. keep. writing.
2. Because I can’t stand the empty feeling of a blank post, I always toss my photos in first. That gives me something to work off of. I rearrange pictures, start thinking about what I want to write about in the post, how to tie it to the recipe (if it’s a recipe) and then sit and stare at the pictures for 5, 10, sometimes 30 minutes.
3. When I’m not just staring at the pictures, I’m checking Facebook, Twitter, and – again – the Friends reruns. Could I be any more of a procrastinator?
4. Finally, inspiration or exhaustion or the wine hits and I start typing. I sometimes start by working on the actual recipe so I can get that out of the way and get my brain thinking about the food again. This usually works and is really helpful if I’m posting about something that I made weeks ago.
5. I write, write, write until I feel I’ve said everything I want to say in that post. I read through it a few times, edit if needed, check over the recipe a few more times, make sure the pictures are the ones I want, and save it to post the next morning.
6. Then I go to bed. Or….okay, I fall asleep on the couch. With the tv on - you guessed it - a Friends episode.
So I want to know – how do you work? If you’re a blogger, what’s your routine? Do you work during the day? Do you struggle to find the words for each post like I do? Do you sometimes wish you could just blink and your post would be written for you like I do?
I want to know how you work, how your brain works, how you get stuff done. Even though I get posts written and come up with recipes on a regular basis, I always feel that things are hanging on by a very tiny little thread – my kitchen, my computer, my house, my laundry basket, my sanity. It’s a fun way to spend my days, but a little bit crazy.
PS: The only difference in the routine when I was putting this post together was that I was watching E! News and not Friends. Just keeping it real.
M&M Snack Mix
Makes: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup White Chocolaate Candy Corn M&Ms
Toss all ingredients together in a bowl or bag. Store in sealed bag or container. Maybe hide from your boyfriend or husband if you want more than one handful.