Football season has officially started which means that every other weekend until January, we will have a full house.
Both Nick’s parents and my parents got season tickets this year, giving me and Nick a pretty good deal: we provide the room and food, they provide the football fun.
The first weekend of the season was Labor Day and by that Monday morning, I was out of breakfast ideas that would easily serve 5 people. When you normally cook for 2, cooking for 5 requires a lot more thought and planning.
We had biscuits, jam, fruit, and scrambled eggs on Saturday. Pancakes and fruit on Sunday. And Monday….I woke up with no plan and a sad looking fridge.
But I did have eggs, heavy cream, and a lot of rosemary.
I didn’t want to make pancakes again, and all I had to work with was eggs. We had scrambled eggs on Saturday, and doing over easy eggs or omelets for more than a few people just takes too long.
So I took an oven-safe pan, cracked in 10 eggs, sprinkled on some herbs and poured a little cream over the top to keep the eggs from drying out.
It may be the best way I’ve ever had eggs!
Nick and I have made eggs like this 5 more times since Labor Day weekend. I guess I’ve got to keep stock in heavy cream now because it’s the only way he wants his eggs cooked now.
Anyone want to share their favorite heavy cream-filled recipes? These eggs only use a few tablespoons at a time and having this much cream hanging out in the fridge is a dangerous thing.
Herb Baked Eggs
Makes: 2 servings, but you can adjust the amount of eggs to as many servings as you need
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh herbs (a mix of rosemary, parsley, and oregano is especially good)
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream (or half & half or milk)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour the olive oil into a medium oven-safe skillet and place in the oven for 5 minutes to heat up the oil and the pan.
- Remove the pan from the oven and crack the four eggs into the skillet.
- Sprinkle the eggs with the salt, pepper, and fresh herbs.
- Pour the cream around the eggs.
- Place pan back in the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes or until the whites are fully cooked.