Have you checked out Kitchen PLAY? If not, you need to.
Every month, they do a “Progressive Party” with bloggers where each one is challenged to create a course based on a certain ingredient. Most months, they assign different courses (amuse, salad, dessert, etc), and for the month of July, the courses focus on easy summertime cooking.
I’ve been following the Progressive Parties for months now, so when Casey emailed me asking if I’d like to be a July blogger, I said yes before even finding out what the ingredient was!
Thankfully, the secret ingredient was Dreamfields Pasta. To be honest, I’d never tried Dreamfields Pasta before this challenge, but Nick and I love pasta and eat it all the time at home, so I knew it would be fun to cook with and create a recipe around. Dreamfields pasta has 5g of fiber and only 5g of digestible carbs per serving, which makes it a great choice compared to other pastas.
For this specific progressive party, we were given the challenge to create a pasta dish that is quick and easy and has 5 ingredients or less.
With summer speeding by already (seriously – how is it already July 11th?), I’m all about quick + easy dishes. Our days are filled with work, puppy play and gardening, and that doesn’t always leave me much time at night to cook dinner if we want to eat at a reasonable time.
I always have pasta in the pantry for this very reason. It cooks super fast, is incredibly versatile, and is great for making a fast entrée or side dish.
Right now, Nick and I are really enjoying southwestern flavors: roasted cumin, smoky ancho chilis, bright cilantro. And with the summer corn coming in at farmer’s markets (and soon to our own backyard), I knew I wanted a side dish that mixed some of my favorite summer produce together.
If you’re looking for a quick side dish for your own dinner or something easy to take along to a picnic, this will come together in 15 minutes, easy.
Charred Corn and Jalapeno Pasta Salad with Cilantro Oil
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 box Dreamfields Pasta Rotini
- Kernels from 3 ears of fresh corn
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and pepper diced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp +1.5 tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp pepper
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 Tbsp salt to the water and pasta, stirring occasionally. Let the pasta cook 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and rinse.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced jalapenos and let them cook 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Toss the corn kernels into the pan with the peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn starts to brown.
- In separate bowl, stir the minced cilantro into the 1/3 cup olive oil and let this sit until ready to serve.
- Once the corn and jalapenos are cooked, toss the pasta, corn and peppers, and cilantro oil together in a large bowl.
- Stir in 1.5 tsp salt and the ½ tsp pepper.
- Serve warm, cool, or room temperature.
This post was sponsored by Kitchen PLAY and Dreamfields Pasta – Make sure to check out the other bloggers’ quick and easy pasta dishes!
Each month Kitchen Play also features a contest to involve as many additional bloggers as possible. Visit the Contest page at Kitchen PLAY for more details on how you could win $100 for trying this recipe and posting about it.