Last week was my first time – ever - to make a pound cake.
I know! What in the world was I thinking waiting that long?
But this wasn’t just any pound cake.
I wanted it to be the cake version of my very favorite winter citrus before they were out of season: cara cara oranges.
Have you ever had cara cara oranges? Nick and I fell in love with them last winter, and I’ve been stocking up on them the last few weeks after seeing them in stores again.
They taste like oranges, but they look like grapefruits once you cut into them – the actual fruit is pink inside!
When I started researching pound cake recipes, I knew I could make one that was not only full of flavor but that was also healthier than some of the recipes I saw.
My secret weapon in this cake?
Stonyfield Whole Milk Yogurt.
The yogurt gives the cake a soft but dense crumb and helps keep it from drying out, along with the sugar syrup and glaze.
This cake can be mixed up in less than 10 minutes and only needs one mixing bowl. And less dirty dishes is always a plus in my kitchen.
If this won’t brighten up a cold winter day, I’m not sure what will.
Orange Yogurt Pound Cake
- 1 cup whole milk yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- zest from 2 Cara Cara oranges
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line loaf pan with parchment paper or grease and flour pan.
- Whisk together the yogurt, sugar, eggs, zest, and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Fold the oil into the batter.
- Pour into loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake cools, heat the 1/3 cup of sugar with the juice until the sugar is dissolved. Once the cake has cooled about 10 minutes, pour the juice mixture over the top and let it soak in.
- Remove the cake after a few minutes and let it finish cooling on a rack.
- Mix together the powdered sugar, juice, and vanilla and pour the glaze over the cake.