Winter is not leaving anytime soon. I normally don’t mind this season but this winter is not getting any better.
I am ready for a break.
The snow is pretty but I hate when it gets slushy and murky.
Cold weather itself isn’t horrible, but I would like the –4 degree wind chills to be gone.
Basically, I need a little warmth and there’s only so much hot tea I can drink.
Thankfully, I had some bananas waiting on the counter, just for this reason!
If I can’t get to the tropics this winter, I’m going to bring them to me.
Banana Pina-Colada Muffins – Vegan!
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil (I used Tropical Traditions)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I used unsweetened, but either type would be fine)
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp Earth Balance
- 2 Tbsp coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large bowl, mash bananas.
- Stir pineapple, coconut oil, and vanilla into bananas.
- Add brown sugar to banana mixture.
- Mix in dry ingredients (flour through coconut) until just combined.
- Fill muffin tin 3/4 full.
- In small bowl, mix together streusel topping and sprinkle streusel on top of muffins.
- Bake 25-27 minutes or until golden on top and toothpick comes out clean.
I knew these would be good as soon as I smelled the bananas with the pineapple and coconut oil.
And I’m not sure about you, but I’m a sucker for a streusel muffin. I don’t know what it is about that crumbly, buttery topping, but it’s addicting in the best way.
If you can’t make it to an island this winter or have no plans to lay on a beach until June, you probably need these, too.
It may still be winter outside, but your kitchen will smell like summer.