Saturday morning, we woke up to a light layer of new snow and strong winds. While the snow kept falling and Nick used his snow plow to clear off the driveway, I got working on breakfast.
I had heard of using leftover cooked brown rice as a “crust” of sorts, but I hadn’t tried it for myself.
After making a casserole earlier in the week, I found myself with 2 cups of cooked brown rice in the fridge, just waiting to be used.
I had my doubts – rice as a crust? – but it actually worked!
Brown Rice Crusted Quiche
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup steamed broccoli
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix crust ingredients (rice, egg, cheese) together and press into pie plate.
- Bake crust 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden and egg is set.
- While crust is baking, whisk together eggs, cheese, milk, and seasonings.
- Once crust is ready, place broccoli on top of crust and pour egg mixture over top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until eggs are set and top is starting to brown.
And hey! This is my first post in our new kitchen : ) Took long enough, huh?