The gloomy gray weather today had me wanting one thing and one thing only for lunch.
Specifically, Campbell’s Tomato Soup.
One of my favorite comfort meals growing up was regular old Campbell’s Tomato soup, along with either a grilled cheese or cheesy toast.
And since I have a bunch of great produce in the fridge, I knew it would be a soup + salad + cheesy toast kind of day.
Our weird summer weather is catching up with our garden – our tomato plants are still producing!
And I’m definitely not complaining. We don’t have enough to put away for the winter, but I was so excited for a salad today and one more taste of perfectly vine-ripened tomatoes.
- raspberries (most likely, the last I’ll have until next year)
- homemade dressing: olive oil, dijon, balsamic, salt, pepper
I always put my salad toppings on top, but then I mix everything together so I can have all the avocado + fruit bites for last :)
As for the tomato soup, I just followed the directions. 1 can soup and 1 can water. Heat. And I added just a splash of milk. Mine tasted good, but my mom’s always tastes better! Not sure why that is…
Cheese toast is something I used to eat all the time growing up. I didn’t get it perfect today, but my process was something like this:
– Heat toast to melt cheese (on low)
– Turn heat on high to get cheese to bubble and brown/get a tiny bit burnt on the edges.
– Save those burnt edges for the last bites ;)
Do you have any super simple comfort food memories?