When I looked up the definition of a snack cake, it was described as “a cake recipe that is a one pan cake, all mixed and baked in the same pan”.
While I didn’t mix the batter in the pan it was baked in, I think that’s the closest description for this sugar crusted, tender crumbed cake.
Here’s what you’ll need.
Sugar Crusted Snack Cake
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp canola or grapeseed oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp maple sugar or regular sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large bowl, mix applesauce, maple syrup, vanilla, oil and egg together.
- Add flour, salt, and baking powder and stir until mixture is combined.
- Pour batter into buttered/greased 8×8 baking dish.
- In small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle mixture of top of batter.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
The combination of maple syrup in the batter and maple sugar on the top is irresistible and gives just enough sweetness to the cake.
If you don’t have maple sugar, regular white sugar or brown sugar will work just fine.
I’m still not sure what to call this.
That last one might be the closest. The cinnamon sugar crust is like one giant layer of the best part of snickerdoodle cookies, all in one place.
If you make them, I’ll take name suggestions!
But whatever you do, just make them.
Your boyfriend, husband, brother, or dad will thank you.
Just make sure you grab a few pieces before they get their hands on the pan.
Baked goods stand no chance in this house. I’ve learned to move quickly or be ready to find an empty, crumb filled pan.