I love breakfast. It’s my favorite meal of the day, hands down.
Maybe it’s because all my food choices in the morning are some of my favorite things. Maybe it’s that breakfast always tastes better because it’s the first meal I have each morning.
Whatever it is, I just wish every single meal felt like breakfast.
Tonight was pretty close.
I typically go grocery shopping on Saturday mornings, so Friday nights often leave us with leftovers or random meals to finish cleaning out the fridge.
Eggs were the only protein I had left tonight, so I made a great use of them and some frozen potatoes I had forgotten about.
I’ll call this …
Southwest Egg Bake
- 1 bag frozen potatoes, onions, peppers
- 3-4 scallions
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp ancho chile powder
- 2 oz. colby jack cheese, shredded (freshly shredded if you can!)
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Heat large skillet over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp oil.
- Pour frozen pepper/onion/potato mixture into skillet and let cook 5-10 minutes or until thawed/browned.
- Stir ancho chile powder into potatoes and pour into 9×13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle chopped scallions, cilantro, and corn over potatoes.
- Shred cheese and put on top of vegetable mixture.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and some salt and pepper.
- Pour egg mixture over veggies.
- Bake at 375 for 45-55 minutes or until eggs are set.
We topped ours with some salsa and had strawberries on the side.
Sweet + savory.
I also went back for another 1/2 piece ;)
Now we’re watching some weird documentary on wild hogs – it’s nuts! Some guy found a 1,200 lb wild pig. Isn’t that crazy?
Seems like it will be an exciting Friday night! :)