- black beans
Feta + Balsamic? Delicious together.
But I would have never thought to throw black beans in the mix. Thankfully, Our Daily Bread did, and I have a new favorite summer salad.
Black Bean, Balsamic and Feta Wheatberry Salad
- 1.5 cups uncooked wheatberries
- 3 cups water
- 2 zucchini, halved and sliced
- 1 yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup feta, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add wheatberries. Let simmer 30-40 minutes or until chewy and tender.
- While wheatberries are cooking, slice zucchini, squash, and tomato.
- Drain beans and add to other veggies.
- Add seasonings, basil, parsley, balsamic, and olive oil.
- After wheatberries are cooked, add to veggie mixture and let cool about 10 minutes.
- Crumble in feta, stir, and serve!
I love grain salads.
They’re extremely easy to make, delicious cold or at room temperature, and make for great lunches during the week.
And wheatberries are one of my favorite grains to use in salads like this. The wheatberry kernels have this great chew and texture that can stand up to any other ingredient you throw in.
Plus, it’s just fun to have salads that aren’t mostly lettuce. Sometimes, I just need a little more texture and something a bit more filling. And grain salads do just that.
What’s your favorite grain to use? Do you have a favorite recipe using whole grains?