Today, Nick is turning 29!
As a special way to start his birthday, I made one of his favorite breakfasts.
Only I made them vegan…and he doesn’t even know it ;) And I used one exciting secret ingredient that made them amazing.
They’re also totally fat free! I could barely believe it myself.
Maple Sugar Cinnamon Rolls (adapted from this recipe)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 packet yeast
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Tbsp applesauce
- 2 Tbsp applesauce
- 2 Tbsp maple sugar
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Warm the milk and add the packet of yeast. Let this sit 5-10 minutes.
- Mix 2 cups of flour, baking powder, sugar, cinnamon, and salt together in large bowl.
- Add the applesauce and yeast mixture to the flour and stir to combine.
- Add in another 1/2 cup of flour, then turn the dough out onto a floured surface.
- Sprinkle the last 1/2 cup flour onto dough and knead about 20 times or until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Roll the dough out to a large rectangle.
- Mix together the filling (applesauce, maple sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon) and pour onto center of dough.
- Spread filling mixture out, covering the dough but leaving about 1/2 – 1” border.
- Roll dough into long log and slice into rolls.
- Place rolls in greased baking dish and let rest 15-20 minutes.
- Either bake immediately at 350 for 20-25 minutes OR cover and put in refrigerator and bake the next morning.
I made about 22 rolls (I cut them pretty small) and, since it would take 3-5 to really fill me up, I decide to make them an oatmeal topping instead ;)
I made some plain oatmeal (just oats, water, cinnamon, and salt), topped it with a cinnamon roll and a side of strawberries.
I also made us some Kona coffee in the syphon this morning!
I’d say it’s a good birthday for Nick so far :) He loved the breakfast!
Do you have any special birthday meals or dishes?