I admit it. I was terrified of rhubarb.
I’m not sure I’d ever had rhubarb before – not in pie or crisp or cobbler. But as soon as I told Nick I saw some at the farmer’s market, he requested a strawberry and rhubarb dessert of some kind.
I figured if nothing else, the perfectly ripe and local berries would mask the rhubarb just in case I messed something up.
Turns out I had nothing to worry about.
Strawberries and rhubarb are a match made in heaven – the sweet, juicy strawberries have everything the tart rhubarb is lacking, making them incredibly compatible despite being complete opposites.
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- 3 cups strawberries, halved
- 3 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup agave
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix strawberries, rhubarb, honey, and agave in large bowl and pour into greased 8×8 baking dish.
- Combine flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, salt, butter, and oil until mixture is crumbly and butter and oil is incorporated.
- Sprinkle oat mixture over fruit.
- Bake 40-50 minutes until edges are bubbling and topping is golden.
- Let cool, serve with vanilla ice cream.
If you want a dessert that showcases everything good about late Spring/early Summer, this is it.
Just don’t blame me if you find yourself having it for breakfast, too.
*PS: Last day to vote!!!