Welcome to round #2 of Behind the Blog!
Grab a drink, sit back, and let’s get to know Gavi!
1. What’s your name and blog address? Hi everyone! My name is Gavi, and my blog address is http://gavigetsgoing.wordpress.com.
2. How long have you been blogging? I’ve been blogging exactly three months. I wrote my first entry on February 10th, 2010.
3. What do you love / hate about blogging? I love having a space that allows me to sort out and share some of my thoughts, struggles, ideas, musings, and recipes, but it’s hard for me to find the time to post. I usually post about once a week, and the topics really vary. In the past, I’ve written about what I did over the weekend, fun places I’ve visited, issues I’m having in the various relationships in my life, fitness and food ideas, and great restaurants I frequent. It’s fun and challenging to find my “blog voice”–I’ve never blogged before–and it makes me feel honest and real when my friends and family tell me that they can hear my voice when they read my posts. I’m also not so great about taking pictures of what I’m making and eating. It’s tough to keep up!
4. What’s your favorite color? I love light blue. After teaching Kindergarten for a year and working with Smelly Markers all day, though, I just see colors in terms of their smells, so make that ‘blueberry blue!’
5. Favorite movie? I have so many! At the moment, I love Kill Bill (Vol. 1 and 2), The Lives of Others, The Princess Bride, and the whole Bourne series. Matt Damon totally rocks those movies.
6.Favorite book? Again, such a tough question! I love short stories, and some of my favorite collections of short stories are Self-Help by Lorrie Moore, Drown by Junot Diaz, and Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri.
7. Favorite food? Pickles! :) The longer list: Greek yogurt, brussel sprouts, carrots, dates, fuji apples, sweet potatoes, eggplant.
8. Chocolate or vanilla? Vanilla.
9. Favorite tv show NOW and when you were growing up? I actually never watched TV when I was growing up! My brother and I were allowed to, but we just never did. I don’t have a TV now, but I do watch The Office, Glee, and Arrested Development on my computer.
10. Do you like playing sports? Watching sports? I love playing sports! I played varsity soccer in college, and even dabbled in water polo for a season (we were not a match made in heaven!). Now, I love running, biking, and swimming, and I am training for a triathlon in September. I love watching soccer (World Cup 2010 is coming up!).
11. Are you a coffee or tea person? Or neither? I’m a big tea person. I mostly drink green tea and vanilla chai.
12. Do you have tattoos or piercings? No tattoos, but I do have a small nose piercing.
13. Do you have any special talents? I’m pretty fierce at jumping rope! And my boyfriend thinks I’m pretty damn great at taking down the recycling, too (but I think he’s better!).
14. If you could go anywhere in the world TOMORROW, where would you go? Paris. It is my favorite city in the world. Or Barcelona. The outdoor markets and beautiful beaches call to me!
15. Last thing you ate? A homemade Larabar. I call them GaviBars! This one had dates, almonds, raw coconut, and dried apricot. I’ve been trying all different combinations, including dates + dried apples + walnuts, dates + cashews, dates + apricots + walnuts. So far, the one with coconut in it is my favorite.
16. When you were young, what did you want to be when you grew up? I think I wanted to be a ballerina for a little while, and then a geneticist.
17. What was your favorite subject in school? Spanish and English. I studied both in college, along with history and philosophy.
18. What games did you play when you were younger? My whole family still loves playing Taboo. We’re a bit more competitive now, though! We were also pretty into card games: hearts, gin rummy, etc.
19. Favorite restaurant? I absolutely love Herbivore and B*Star in San Francisco, and Becco in New York. There is also an amazing, vegetarian restaurant called It’s Only Natural in Middletown, CT (where I went to college). I miss it so much!
20. Favorite store? Banana Republic (especially for work clothes).
21. Favorite animal? Dog! My friends all tease that I’m a golden retriever at heart: friendly, loving, incredibly excited to see anyone who walks into a room (even if it’s only been 30 seconds since we’ve last seen each other!–can’t you tell by all the exclamation marks?). But my favorite animal in the world is my family standard poodle, Chip. What a character!
22. Favorite thing to cook/make? I love making this delicious eggplant and chickpea casserole. It’s not a difficult dish, but there are a lot of steps to it and the result is hearty and comforting.
23. Most embarrassing guilty pleasure? Watching horrible romantic comedies on my instant Netflix when I’m home sick from school.
24. Do you have any nicknames? Gav, Gavster, Gavitron, Gavrielski, Gavrielli-smelly-jelly-belly (my horrible childhood nickname that still haunts me!).
25. List one thing the “blog world” doesn’t know about you but should! I am a fun-loving, outgoing, outdoorsy, San Francisco girl! I love meeting new people and spending quality time with my family and friends. I was born and raised in San Francisco, and I just moved back here last year with my boyfriend of almost four years after graduating from college. I love cooking and inventing new, healthy recipes, and when I’m not working I’m happiest spending time outdoors hiking, biking, and enjoying the beautiful California scenery with the people I love. Part of my blog is about my journey back to health after losing 60 pounds and struggling with some eating issues. I’m doing better every day, but I’m still not perfect, and I write about my struggles, successes, and setbacks on my blog. I hope you’ll drop by Gavi Gets Going! and check it out!