I’m not sure why it took me so long to put Nutella in banana bread, but I hope you’ll try it soon.
Somehow, this latest jar of Nutella had escaped my reach – until last weekend. This may be my new favorite way to use it.
Nutella Marbled Banana Bread
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup toasted, chopped hazelnuts
- 4 Tbsp Nutella or other chocolate-hazelnut spread
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease bottom of loaf pan.
- Mix sugar, applesauce, and oil in large bowl. Stir in eggs until blended.
- Add bananas, buttermilk/milk, and vanilla to applesauce mixture.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Fold in hazelnuts.
- Pour batter into loaf pan and drop spoonfuls of Nutella on the top. Swirl around with the end of a knife.
- Bake about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Even though I added the Nutella to the top of the loaf, some of it sunk into the batter, leaving a chocolate filling in the center of the bread
I love the crunchy of the hazelnuts with the swirly, melty ribbons of Nutella.
This is great for breakfast and even better as a dessert with just a little more Nutella spread on top.
Can you even have too much Nutella? I don’t think so.
Are you a banana bread purist or do you like adding fun new ingredients?