This afternoon went by pretty quickly, considering the amount of work I had to do! I was fairly busy after lunch, but I did take time to have a snack.
I made myself a quick apple crisp!
I diced a medium sized apple and microwaved it with a pinch of salt + cinnamon for 2 minutes.
While that was “cooking”, I got out my toppings.
- 1 Tbsp craisins
- 1 Tbsp walnuts
- 1 tsp graham cracker crumbs
It was such a good snack, and helped warm me up :) I was really cold in the house, so I just couldn’t bring myself to eat yogurt + fruit.
After seeing how good dinner turned out, this Monday wasn’t so bad ;)
I used this Mushroom Casserole recipe as my inspiration, but I amped it up quite a bit.
Ham, Mushroom, and Broccoli Casserole
- 1.5 cups quick cooking barley
- 3 cups water
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 oz. chopped frozen broccoli (thawed OR cooked prior to mixing into dish)
- 1/2 cup lowfat sour cream
- 2 cups lowfat cottage cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 8 oz. diced lean ham
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Add barley to 3 cups of boiling water. Lower the heat and simmer about 10 minutes or until the barley is cooked.
- While the barley is simmering, saute the mushrooms in 1 tsp of olive oil until browned.
- Add chopped onion and garlic to the mushrooms and let soften.
- Mix ham, barley, and mushroom mixture in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs with sour cream, cottage cheese, and Parmesan.
- Add egg mixture to barley/veggie mixture and pour into baking dish.
- Bake at 350 (covered) for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake 10 minutes more or until the casserole is browned along the edges.
With a slice of homemade sourdough bread and a smear of Kerrygold butter, it was the perfect comfort meal.
And with the ham, mushrooms, and broccoli, it was a one-pot wonder! A meal in itself.
This casserole was SO delicious. It totally reminded me of the broccoli and cheese casserole that is always at church potlucks and a staple of Paula Deen ;) The only difference here? More veggies, less cheese, and just healthier!
We loved it. I can’t wait to have leftovers of this meal.
HIMYM is about to start!
Do you have a favorite casserole?