It’s Saturday – you know what that means!
The best batch yet.
And finally a recipe!
Sourdough Buttermilk Pancakes
- 1 cup room temperature sourdough starter
- 2 Tbsp neutral oil (I used canola)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Put sourdough starter into a large bowl.
- Stir in oil with wooden or plastic spoon (no metal!)
- Beat egg with sugar and add to starter mixture.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in buttermilk until all is combined.
- Mix baking soda, salt, and a little water and add to the bowl. The mixture should bubble a bit after sitting for a few minutes.
- Heat cast iron (or nonstick) skillet over medium heat.
- Cook pancakes until golden brown.
Best served hot with maple syrup, a side of fruit, and lots of coffee.
I’m bringing sourdough back!
Everyone should have some starter in their fridge. It’s so easy and makes THE BEST pancakes. And bread. And biscuits. And chocolate cake.
It’s hard to believe that I never made pancakes before last year. Ever! I never made them on my own before we got married, and even when we made them together, I was never the one actually cooking them.
Thank goodness it’s an easy skill to master ;)
Agenda for today?
It’s STILL snowing here. And the snow/freezing rain isn’t supposed to stop until around 4 or 5 this afternoon. We already have over a foot of snow so we may really get snowed in today.
Right now, we’re still in pajamas, drinking coffee, and cuddling on the couch.
I do have a bread baking project in the works and will probably work on some laundry while being lazy in the house. And we’ll start packing our bags for our trip, too.
What’s your favorite citrus fruit?