This daylight savings is still messing me up – we’re already done with dinner, but I feel like it’s 9 pm, not 7:30! It doesn’t help that it’s totally gross here today: gray, gloomy, chilly, and pouring down rain.
My snack made my afternoon a bit better today – I brought a blueberry Oikos from Kristina at Stonyfield (thanks again!) and some trail mix.
This trail mix is one we got from Walmart, but I forget the brand. It has whole raw almonds, almond slivers, raisins, craisins, and dark chocolate.
It’s awesome in yogurt – and oatmeal! The dark chocolate is just sweet enough to counter the tart yogurt + dried fruit.
We drove home in the nasty weather and I got started on dinner as soon as I had our lunch dishes washed and out of the sink.
Do you call anything with chili powder “chili”? Because I think I do.
Exhibit A: This recipe has no ground beef at all or any other normal chili ingredients, but it has chili powder… so I’m calling it a chili :)
Veggie Barley Chili
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 cup green beans (frozen/thawed or fresh)
- ancho chili powder (about 2 Tbsp?)
- cumin (1 Tbsp)
- garlic (1 Tbsp)
- salt (1/2 Tbsp)
- Heat water to a boil and add in Rotel and barley. Bring down to a simmer and let cook 5 minutes.
- Stir in beans, corn, and green beans and let cook 5-10 more minutes or until barley is cooked.
- Stir in seasonings to taste.
- Top with scallions and avocado (optional). And hot sauce!
I’ve made a dish like this before, but I’ve never added green beans to it. I liked them in this! Plus, I liked having one non-starchy veggie in the meal. And avocado + hot sauce just makes everything better.
I’m having a Full Moon again tonight while blogging and watching some tv with Nick.
We like joking on people we see on tv. Case in point: Nick had it on the speed channel tonight and they have this game where guys pick the time they think a driver will finish in on this short track. There some funny roommates on there and Nick and I both just started imitating them – it was hilarious :) It’s always good when you can laugh at just about anything.
I’m ready for pajamas – night!