After receiving a sample of Greens+ Chia Seeds, I knew I wanted to try them in some different ways.
First, I used them in some muesli the other morning – very good and filling, too! I wasn’t hungry for about 5 hours after that meal.
I kept seeing my ripe bananas on the counter and knew banana bread was going to happen, but I wasn’t sure how I could use the chia seeds, too.
I found this recipe on the Greens+ website for Chia Banana Bread and modified it a little for what I had on hand.
Really – is there anything better than the smell of banana bread baking in the oven?
Nick and I were both very happy with how this turned out.
For this loaf, I ended up using the following:
- 2 Tbsp chia seeds, soaked in 1/4-1/2 cup water and set aside for 5-10 minutes
- 1/2 cup white/ap flour
- 1.5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1.5 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1 Tbsp melted butter – yes, REAL butter
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix the chia + water and let sit while you get the rest of the ingredients ready or until they’ve started to gel.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together (flours, baking powder, salt).
- In separate bowl, beat egg with juice and brown sugar. Add in mashed bananas, chia seeds, vanilla, and melted butter.
- Add wet mix to flour mix until combined.
- Fold in nuts or mix in of your choice.
- Bake in greased loaf pan at 350 for 50 – 60 minutes.
The outside of this loaf of banana bread got so dark! I loved it.
And you just can’t beat walnuts in banana bread.
If you have chia seeds, try this recipe! You won’t be disappointed.
If you still haven’t tried chia seeds and you’d like to, just email Diane from Greens+ at email@example.com and let her know that you’re a Bran Appetit reader who would like to sample chia seeds. That’s it! Easy, huh
What’s your favorite “kitchen” smell?
I have a few:
- chocolate chip cookies being made
- banana bread baking
- my mom’s pizza casserole dish
- bacon crisping up
K has a cool book/cookbook up for grabs – check it out!