One thing I have trouble with is packing good snacks for the morning / afternoon at work. I just never know if I’m going to be hungry inbetween meals or how hungry I’m going to be.
Some of my favorite and easy snacks to pack are:
- yogurt with fruit / cereal / granola / bar / trail mix
- smoothies – either bought from a place that makes good ones or I make at home and bring with me
- veggies / dip or hummus
- hard boiled egg
- nuts / trail mix
- cereal + milk
I found this great listing of snacks on the Weight Watchers messages boards the other day and wanted to share it. It was originally posted by Kippy2006, and was posted to be a “thought-starter”.
This list includes snacks that are 100 calories of REAL food, as compared to those air-filled 100 cal packs being sold in stores today. Not to mention, most of these would also count towards your fruit/veggie servings for the day!
- 1/4 of an avocado
- 1.75 cups apple slices
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup grapes
- 2 cups berries
- 1.5 cups sliced peaches
- 1.25 cups orange sections
- 1.25 cups blueberries
- 2 cups diced watermelon
- 1 cup sliced pears
- 1.33 cup diced pineapple
- 1.5 cups raspberries
- 1 cup cherries
- 2 large kiwifruit
- 3 clementines
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes or 10 plum tomatoes or 3 large beefsteak tomatoes
- 1 medium baked sweet potato
- 1 small baked white potato
- 2 cups carrot strips or slices
- 12 cups torn lettuce
- 10 large broccoli spears
- 8 cups sliced cucumbers
- 5.5 cups sliced bell or sweet peppers
- 5 cups whole raw mushrooms
- 32 spears cooked asparagus
- 2.5 cups cooked green beans
- 80 snow or sugar snap pea pods
- 4.5 cups mixed vegetable salad (without dressing)
- 1/2 cup cooked grain/rice/pasta (most, bulgur is 3/4s cup)
- 1 jumbo hard boiled egg
- 20 large boiled or steamed shrimp
- 2 oz chicken breast meat (a little more than 2 oz)
- 2 oz sirloin steak (a little less than 2 oz)
- 0.75 cup plain fatfree yogurt
- 3 cups airpopped popcorn
less than an ounce of some kind of packaged cookie crispy thing
I understand the idea of portion control is helpful to people, and for some things, I definitely need portion control! BUT, you pay SO much for those little packets and you could just buy a big bag of something and portion it out yourself. It would take a little time, but you would get a lot more for your money AND still be able to portion it out how you want it for snacks or breakfast or whatever!
What are your favorite healthy snacks? Let’s see what else we can add to the list!
And do you portion out some things yourself?