Happy end to your Monday! I’m so happy today is over – I’m sitting in my pajamas with my feet up on the ottoman watching HIMYM with Nick :)
Nick wanted another rest day today, so instead of running, I came home and did some yoga + my summer glow boot camp stuff from yesterday. I did the 20 minute Gentle Hatha download, but I just could not get into it today. I finished it, but my mind was just going everywhere and I couldn’t focus at all. After I finished the yoga + boot camp stuff, I came back upstairs to start on dinner.
Since our fridge is bursting at the seams, I wanted to use up some leftovers with dinner tonight before adding too much more to our stash.
I heated up part of Nick’s dad’s leftover chicken and zucchini/squash from the other night for my plate, and Nick had the last caribbean chicken thigh from our cookout.
Nick’s mom brought a bunch of veggies with her this weekend and some didn’t get used with the meals we made, so I had to use them tonight.
I’m calling this Barley Risott-no:
- 1/2 yellow and orange pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 scallion, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 1-2″ pieces
- 1 cup fresh peas from our garden (could you frozen)
- 1 1/4 cups quick cooking barley
- 2.5 cups water
- salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley
- 1-2 Tbsp parmesan (I used soy parm)
- Heat pot over medium heat with a little oil.
- Add in diced peppers, carrots, and scallion and let cook until softened.
- Take pepper mixture out of pan and add water to pan.
- Bring water to a boil and add barley and peas.
- Let cook about 5 minutes, then add the asparagus.
- Stir in the seasonings.
- Stir in the parm once the barley is cooked and all the liquid has been absorbed.
This risott-no turned out great! I wanted to do the whole add-the-hot-liquid-slowly to draw out more starch, but eh….I was already in my pjs while cooking, so I just let it do its thing while I packed my lunch for tomorrow.
Alright, one more load of laundry is calling – see you in the morning!
Have you ever made real risotto?