Ah, I have so much to catch up on!
My dad got in last night around 5 on his new motorcycle and stayed the night with us before heading home this morning.
Nick’s parents, sister and her husband got in around 7 last night and we started on dinner. Of course, everyone had to take turns riding on my dad’s new bike before eating, but dinner still turned out great!
We made our Caribbean feast –
I made our jerk marinade and let the chicken sit in that in the fridge until we were ready to grill.
I also made some peas and rice, based on a dish we had in the Bahamas and a recipe we found online, and used some of our fresh peas! We also had some grilled squash for a quick, summer meal.
Nick also made some blueberry mojitos, but none of my pictures turned out well! :(
and then the cheesecake.
I am so happy with how it turned out! It didn’t crack at all (thanks to the water bath) and it was delicious!
Nick’s sister brought some fresh blueberries from Maryland, so we took about a cup of those and a Tbsp or so of agave nectar and let that simmer until the berries broke down, then poured it over the slices and added a few pieces of our fresh mint.
The best thing about the cheesecake? You would never guess that’s it’s pretty healthy!
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 8 oz. fat free cream cheese
- 8 oz. low fat cream cheese
- 1 cup park skim ricotta
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- Spray 9″ springform pan with cooking spray and pat crumbs into bottom of pan. Bake at 350 for 8 minutes. Take out and let cool while you make the filling.
- Mix together the cream cheese and ricotta until smooth.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, then mix in the whites until mixture is smooth.
- Blend in the zest and sugar.
- Pour over crust.
- Put springform pan into deep dish, then pour hot water into dish so it comes 1/4- 1/2 way up the springform pan.
- Bake 50 minutes or until center looks almost set.
- Take out and let cool, then chill in fridge for 3-4 hours before serving.
A successful first cheesecake! I’m psyched :)
Nick is doing the Ride, River, Run race this morning at 10 that is 14 miles bike riding, 7 miles paddling in the kayak, and 5 miles running. He’s crazy :)
I got up and made my Mom’s breakfast casserole this morning for everyone to have while we’re getting ready to cheer him on.
For the casserole, I used:
- 1 lb. lean turkey sausage
- 1 pkg. low fat crescent rolls
- 3 eggs, 1 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup fat free cheese
- 1/4 cup colby/jack shredded cheese
- salt, pepper, oregano
We also had some fresh berries on the side + coffee.
Good way to start the weekend!
The plan today is going to be kind of crazy – I’ve got a pork loin in the crockpot for lunch, pasta salad is made, and corn is in the fridge. It will probably be a late lunch (after the race is finished), then maybe a food/beer/wine festival today? I guess we’ll see :)
Happy 4th of July!!!