Why order vitamuffins when you can make your own? Now, I’ve never tried the “actual” vitamuffins, but these are really tasty, chocolatey bran muffins that are easy to modify to whatever you want that day!
- 1.5 cups TJ’s High Fiber fruit and nut medley cereal (you could also use something like Fiber One or another similar bran cereal)
- 1 1/4 cups milk (cow’s, soy, almond, etc)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3 egg whites or 1 egg
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- 2 Tbsp honey or agave
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips
- Crush cereal in ziploc bag or food processor. Put cereal and milk in large mixing bowl and let sit and soften for 10 minutes.
- Mix egg whites/egg, applesauce and honey into cereal mixture.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa.
- Fold in chips.
- Spoon into muffin tin (mine was a 12 muffin, regular size) and bake 12-15 minutes at 400 or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then pop out of tin and let them finish cooling before putting in an airtight container.
- These will last longer if you keep them in the fridge.
One of the best things about these muffins? You can add whatever you want!
Don’t like butterscotch chips?
Use chocolate instead, or dried cherries, or walnuts, or toffee pieces! I can’t wait to try all kinds of different mix-ins for these.
I like them warm right out of the oven, and they’re really good on plain yogurt, too:
Let me know if you try them!