Happy Friday!!! I am so excited the weekend is here!
This afternoon was busy, busy, busy at work – that helped the day go by faster, that’s for sure.
My stomach started feeling like it was eating itself around 3:45, so I broke into this:
I’m kinda’ sad I liked it so much, because no stores carry them here. This chocolate mint one was so good – it was like 2 z-bars put together, but a refreshing chocolate mint flavor. I hope some stores start getting them soon here! If you haven’t tried the Luna cookies, you should.
The weather today actually turned out pretty nice by the end of the day, so I’m hopeful for our kayaking trip tomorrow.
Nick also finished some stuff today in the lab, so since it was also Friday, we had to have a fun dinner + brews.
I had one while making dinner tonight and it was the perfect way to end the work week.
I give you Gumbo-laya!
I made a dish that’s not really gumbo, not really jambalaya, but close to both so that’s what I’m calling it.
- 2 sweet pepper chicken sausages, diced
- 1 bag frozen veggies: red pepper, onion, corn, okra, celery
- about 1 lb. kale
- 1/2 lb. shrimp
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quick cooking barley
- smoked paprika (KEY!)
- pinch cayenne
- garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- Heat large pot over medium heat and add sausage. Let cook until browned.
- Add in bag of frozen veggies and seasonings.
- Once veggies are heated through, stir in tomatoes and water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in barley, turn down heat and let simmer 10 minutes or so until barley is cooked through.
- Stir in kale and let cook a few minutes.
- Drop in shrimp, stir and let cook 3-5 minutes until shrimp is done.
Alright – What Not to Wear just came on and I have a date with that, Nick, and my pjs.
I hope to see you tomorrow morning – Nick and I have a pretty exciting yet ridiculous breakfast planned :)