Today was not what I expected! I thought the weather was going to be like yesterday – in the 40s and rainy. It’s only been in the 30s today and it’s been snowing/raining all day! We have probably close to an inch at our house, but we saw on the news that there’s more near work. I’m hoping there will be enough by morning to get work cancelled – it’s a long shot, but I have to be optimistic :)
Since it was so cold today, I changed my original dinner plans and made this instead.
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 packet Ranch dressing seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp red onion, diced
- 1 bag frozen veggies (I used one with green beans, peas, carrots, and corn)
- Put chicken in crock pot. Pour tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, onion, and seasonings over chicken.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Once chicken is cooked, take out of crockpot.
- Shred the chicken into bite size pieces and return to crockpot.
- Steam frozen veggies, then add to soup.
- Let cook for 5-10 minutes more.
I toasted a ww tortilla in the toaster oven to make some “tortilla chips” to have with my soup.
This is just what I needed today. It was so warm, spicy, and comforting.
And…..these didn’t hurt either :)
I used the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie recipe here, but used chocolate chips instead of raisins. I love cinnamon with chocolate – I think all chocolate chip cookie recipes should call for a little cinnamon. There’s just something about the combination of the two.
Bread Experiment Update!
Interestingly enough, both slices still look fine! Today is day 7 of the experiment, and I don’t see any spots on either slice. Now, neither have been exposed to any air since I put them in the ziploc bags, but I am surprised that I can’t see any changes yet.
I’m about to have a few cookies and a big glass of cold milk and get ready to watch an all new Iron Chef.
A la cuisine!
Make sure to check in tomorrow for the next Heart Health Installment!
Also – Check out the cool giveaway Krista is doing!