♫ I’m the queen of the rhumba beat….
Our dinner was all Cuban tonight – or almost :)
First – sorry for no lunch pictures! Nick and I went out with some of my coworkers and I didn’t take my camera. We got this awesome pizza called the “rustica”: pepperoni, roasted red peppers, black olives, and basil. Yum :) I also had a mixed salad for some veggies. The meal was good, but the service was horrible. This place just opened a few weeks ago, so I guess we should expect some issues, but it was a little ridiculous.
Work was work – I just couldn’t wait for today to be over!!! I’m so happy it’s the weekend!
We went to BodyPump today after work and it was killer! I upped my weight on a couple of the songs, and my arms feel like jello :) I can tell I’m getting stronger, so I’m hoping the real muscle definition will start showing up soon!
Back to dinner –
I made some healthier versions of Cuban Sandwiches
Pork tenderloin, mustard, pickles, and swiss cheese all on a toasted Arnold Sandwich Thin
These got so creamy! The beans had such a great texture, and the flavors went great with our Cuban sandwiches.
Cuban Pork & POM Black Beans
- 1/2 slice bacon, diced
- 1 Tbsp diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- cayenne (to taste!)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 glugs of POM Wonderful Juice (probably about 1/4 cup) – more on this tomorrow :)
- Dice bacon and cook in pot.
- Once bacon has cooked to your liking, add in onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in seasonings, beans, and bay leaf. Stir together and let cook for a minute.
- Add in water and POM juice and let the beans cook on low for about 10 minutes, adding more liquid (either water or juice) if needed.
The seasonings in the beans + the sweetness of the POM juice was SO good!!! This could easily be made without the bacon and it would still be great.
Well – I’m off to relax for a bit, catch up on blogs, and watch some What Not to Wear – possibly with some popcorn :)
Update: Day 5 of Bread Experiment
I’m actually surprised, but both slices still look good! Granted, they haven’t been exposed to air except on the first day, but I figured I would see something by now.
– Make sure to get your BSI entries in by Sunday – Sweetie Pie is also having a giveaway for her 50th post!
– For the Love of Oats is having an awesome giveaway for her 1 year blog-birthday! Make sure you’re keeping up with the trivia questions :)
See you tomorrow for a fun and heart healthy breakfast!